Spanish rice, also known as Mexican rice or arroz rojo, is a flavorful and versatile side dish that pairs well with many Mexican and Spanish-inspired dishes. It’s made with long-grain white rice that’s cooked with a variety of seasonings and often includes vegetables like tomatoes, onions, and peppers. Here’s a simple recipe for making delicious Spanish rice at home.
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Rinse the rice in a fine mesh strainer under cold water until the water runs clear. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and jalapeño (if using) and cook for another 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the rice and stir to coat in the oil and vegetables. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the rice is lightly toasted.
- Add the diced tomatoes, cumin, smoked paprika, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Pour in the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover the skillet with a tight-fitting lid.
- Cook for 18-20 minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and let sit, covered, for 5-10 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and garnish with fresh cilantro before serving.
This Spanish rice recipe is easy to make and can be customized to your liking. If you prefer a milder flavor, omit the jalapeño or reduce the amount used. You can also add other vegetables like diced bell peppers or corn to add more texture and flavor. Serve this delicious side dish alongside tacos, enchiladas, or grilled chicken or fish.
In conclusion, Spanish rice is a classic and flavorful side dish that’s easy to make at home. With a few simple ingredients and seasonings, you can create a delicious and versatile dish that’s perfect for any Mexican or Spanish-inspired meal. Give this recipe a try and impress your family and friends with your culinary skills!
give me more
Sure, here’s another article on Spanish rice that provides some background and history on the dish:
The Origins of Spanish Rice: A Cultural and Culinary Journey
Spanish rice recipe has become a staple in many American households and Mexican restaurants, but where did this dish come from and what’s the story behind it? The history of Spanish rice is a fascinating journey that spans cultures and culinary traditions.
Despite its name, Spanish rice is not actually a traditional dish in Spain. It’s believed to have originated in Mexico, where it was created as a way to use up leftover rice and combine it with other ingredients to create a flavorful and filling dish. Over time, Spanish rice became a popular side dish in Mexican cuisine and eventually spread to other parts of the world.
The basic ingredients in Spanish rice include rice, tomatoes, onions, and peppers, which are cooked together with seasonings like cumin, garlic, and paprika to create a rich and savory flavor. Variations of Spanish rice can include additional ingredients like beans, corn, or meat, depending on the region and the cook’s preferences.
In the United States, Spanish rice became popular in the 1940s and 1950s, when Mexican cuisine began to gain popularity among American diners. The dish was often served as a side dish or as a filling for burritos, enchiladas, or tacos. Today, Spanish rice can be found in many Mexican restaurants and is also a common dish to make at home.
To make Spanish rice, start by sautéing onions and garlic in oil until they’re soft and translucent. Then, add the rice and cook it until it’s lightly toasted. Add diced tomatoes, peppers, and seasonings, along with broth or water, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed. The result is a flavorful and satisfying dish that’s perfect for any meal.
In conclusion, Spanish rice is a dish that has evolved over time, drawing from different cultures and culinary traditions. Whether you’re making it at home or ordering it at a restaurant, Spanish rice is a delicious and versatile side dish that’s sure to satisfy your taste buds.